Get a place to stay if you’re homeless and on the streets

YouSpeak to a Shelter adviser

Contact a Shelter adviser online or by phone

Our expert advisers will:

How to get into a hostel or nightshelter

You’ll need a referral to get into many hostels and nightshelters (especially in London). This means an agency or council will need to contact the hostel on your behalf.

Some hostels and nightshelters will let you call them yourself or turn up in person. This is called self-referral.

If you’re offered a space in one of these ‘direct access’ hostels, you can usually move in straight away. Some hostels run a waiting list.

Search for a hostel

Look for hostels or nightshelters on the Homeless Link site and find out how you can be referred.

Go to the council

You can apply to the council for help. If you’re homeless and meet immigration and residence rules, they must try to help you find somewhere to live. This could be a referral to a hostel.

The council will have to provide short-term emergency housing if you also have a priority need.

Other emergency housing options

Find out about different emergency housing options if you’re homeless and on the streets. You can also find out how much hostels and other options will cost.

Get practical help

Find out about other practical help you can get while on the streets, including where to get the following:


Leave a Reply